Implementation and operation of an IT service management system provides ongoing visibility, control of services and continual improvement, leading to efficiency and improved services.
A revised version
ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 was released 30th September 2018. There are some substantial changes in the new edition, but in total the extent of changes can be considered moderate. A key change is the adoption of the common framework for ISO management system standard with a common High Level Structure (HLS), common text and definitions. The document is therefore completely re-structured compared to the 2011-edition. There are also some other important IT service management specific changes to be noted.
How to prepare for implementation of the new version?
We recommend you start preparing for the transition as early as possible and plan properly to incorporate needed changes into your management system.
Recommended steps for the transition:
- Get to know the content and requirements of the new standard. If you are a current user of the 2011-standard, you should focus on the changes in requirements.
- Ensure that relevant personnel in your organization are trained and understand the requirements and key changes (the ICT team at the minimum).
- Identify gaps which need to be addressed to meet the new requirements and establish an implementation plan.
- Implement actions and update your management system to meet the new requirements.
- The transition period is 3 years from 30th September 2018.
- All ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011 accredited certificates shall cease to be valid after 29th September 2021.
- From 29th March 2020 (18 months from 30th September 2018) DNV, and other certification bodies, shall cease conducting initial and re-certification audits to the 2011-version of the standard.
We can support your transition process
A transition audit can be carried out during any scheduled audit within the 3-year transition period. In exceptional cases it can also be performed `off cycle´. The transition audit shall be completed before 1st July 2021, to ensure renewal of the certificate before the transition deadline. DNV can support through:
- Seminars, webinars and e-learning, where you learn about the revisions and get a basic overview of content and key changes in the standard, transition process etc.
- Gap assessment (workshops) where we assess your management system against the requirements of the new standard and identify gaps that need to be addressed. This will provide useful input to your process to comply with the new standard. The level of detail of such assessment can be tailored to your company´s needs.
- Tutored training courses, in-house or public, where the objective is to provide detailed insight to content, changes and required steps for the transition. These are modular courses where the level of detail can be tailored to your company´s needs.