The updated GLOBALG.A.P. IFA Version 6Version 6 of GLOBALG.A.P. IFA was released in September 2022. The main changes in v6. relate to a simplified structure and language and extended criteria on sustainability, animal-welfare and continuous improvement at producer level. Moreover, there are a few important changes to the general regulations:
- Self-assessment contains comments for all non-applicable and non-compliant Major and Minor Must criteria.
- 10% of unannounced audits by certification bodies. This 10% is no longer counted as additional audits but included in the original number of certification audits.
- Three-year cycle rule (with an annual on-site audit) further reduces the content of the checklist to the applicable points and shortens the on-site audit duration.
Version 6 is released in two parallel editions: IFA v6 Smart and IFA v6 GFS. GFSI requirements are not relevant for all producers. A split allows for Smart to have simplified checklists, be outcome oriented and customized. For those requiring certification to a GFSI recognized standards, GFS would be the preferred choice.
Depending on the edition you have chosen:
- IFA v6 Smart is obligatory from 1 January 2024. After this date, no further audits against IFA v5.2 may be conducted.
- IFA v6 GFS, relevant for scopes Fruit & Vegetables (now Plants) and Aquaculture, becomes obligatory three months after recognition by GFSI is achieved. GlobalG.A.P. estimates this to happen in the last half of 2024. Until the recognition is confirmed, audits will be performed to version 5.4-1-GFS for companies needing GFSI recognized certification.
GLOBALG.A.P. has confirmed that two additional product categories under the Plants scope of IFA v6 will undergo public consultation in 2023: plant propagation material (PPM) and combinable crops (CC). IFA v6 PPM and IFA v6 CC will become obligatory in January 2025.
The transition includes a number of changes to the add-ons:
- GRASP v2.
- Other add-ons.
- SPRING v 2.0 -.
- AH-DLL GROW v3.1 -.
- GGFSA V3.0 -
Preparing for implementation
We recommend that you start preparing for the transition as soon as possible and properly plan how to implement required changes into your management system.
- Get to know the updated standard, focusing on the changes.
- Train relevant personnel in your organization to ensure they understand the requirements and key changes.
- Identify gaps to be addressed and establish an implementation plan.
- Update your management system and implement actions.