BRCGS Global Standard for Storage & Distribution
Taking control of logistics in the supply chain demonstrates your company’s ability to meet the requirements of customers and consumers when it comes to food and beverage quality, safety and legality issues.
The BRCGS Global Standard for Storage and Distribution is a safety and operational management system standard, applicable to food and non-food products. It was created to ensure supplier compliance, taking into consideration the warehousing, transportation and distribution steps, as well as wholesales and other logistic services, to secure the retailers’ abilities to guarantee the quality and safety of the food products that they sell.
What are the benefits?
The standard supports retailers and other users in their fulfillment of legal obligations and protection of the consumer by:
- Providing a common basis for evaluating companies involved in storage and distribution of products.
- Enabling accredited certification of companies supplying products and services to retailer and allied industries.
The BRCGS Global Storage and Distribution standard and the IFS Logistics standard enable your organisation to:
- Provide evidence of commitment and, in case of a food safety incident, legal defence in the frame of the "due diligence" concept.
- Build and operate a management system capable of helping the logistics company to better meet food safety requirements and legal compliance.
- Provide a tool for food safety performance improvement by monitoring and measuring food safety performance effectively.
- Ensure effective product recall, if needed.
How can I prepare for certification?
Companies that plan well will often have an advantage and be better prepared for certification. It is important that you and your company are positive, committed, and set clear target dates for implementation and assessment.
- Establishing a quality management system.
- Identifying legal requirements.
- Identifying and documenting the specific food safety hazards and the relevant control measures (HACCP system).
- Identifying the applicable Good Manufacturing Practice/Good Hygiene Practice, including a pest control programme, equipment and building maintenance programme, housekeeping and cleaning programme, and all the specific standard requirements.
- Implement any needed structural improvements.
Why partner with us?
Within the food and beverage industry, we help customers worldwide to achieve excellence in food safety and quality, environmental management, supply chain management and product sustainability. We combine technical, digital and industry expertise to empower companies’ decisions and actions. Partnering with our customers, we build sustainable business performance and create stakeholder trust.